Work and Life Changes

A qualifying event to change benefits during the plan year is defined as a change in your status due to:  

  • Birth, adoption, or legal guardianship of an eligible child
  • Marriage
  • Divorce, or legal separation
  • Death of a covered dependent
  • Gain or Loss of other coverage
  • Termination of employment
  • Medicare Eligibility

How to Complete a Qualified Life Event Status Change

Keep in mind the date you state as the event date is also the effective date of the change in coverage. For instance, if your dependent’s last day of coverage is January 31, then you would choose February 1st as the date of the event since this is the date your dependent no longer has coverage and is effective under our plans.

  1. Go to
  2. Log in with your user ID and password
  3. From the home page, go to "Change in your family" and select Get Started
  4. Review the steps and select NEXT
  5. Click SELECT on the category that best describes your event, then select your qualifying event reason. When done select NEXT
  6. Review your dependents list, here you can add a dependent if applicable. When done select NEXT
  7. Review your current benefit options, select NEXT
  8. Click on Add  or Edit next to the benefit you want to modify
  9. Make your selection, and move on to checkout. Note that you will need to select each coverage separately to make changes
  10. When done making all the desired updates to your coverage, select SUBMIT YOUR ELECTIONS
  11. Optional - complete the enrollment survey or select NEXT
  12. Review confirmation page for next steps regarding the event verification
  13. Provide documentation to verify the event within 30 days of enrollment. If applicable dependent verification documentation might be required 

Important! You must make your enrollment changes by logging on to the Ardent Benefits Service Center at or by calling 855-787-0668 within 31 days of the event. All changes must be consistent with the event, and you will be required to submit proof of your life event and if applicable dependent verification documents. Once you've submitted your change via the Ardent Benefits Service Center, you will receive a message with instructions on what documentation is needed and how to upload or submit it.